Saturday, July 12, 2014

Hot, Hot Summer Night

Hot, Hot Summer Night
Dressing to Stay Cool:  J. Jill Black V-Neck Elbow Sleeve Tee, Ulla Popken Shorts, SWAK Designs Lulu Black Chiffon Pleated Skirt, Birkenstock Arizona Birko Flors in Silver.   Body Care for a Hot Night:  EOS Lip Balm, Body Glide, The Body Shop Moringa Shower Gel, Burt's Bees Sensitive Skin Facial Moisturizer, The Body Shop Moringa Body Butter.  



Last Monday night, I was asked to speak at a NAMI Family-to-Family meeting.  It's been hot here lately, so I decided to wear my new pleated chiffon skirt from Sealed With A Kiss Designs.  It was so deliciously cool and light!  It's longer than it looks in the picture - more of a midi-length than knee length, so it provides good coverage without being heavy.  Proper undergarments were necessary, of course, so the Ulla Popken shorts were called into service, and they did the job of keeping me cool and dry without revealing too much skin.  The black J. Jill V-neck elbow sleeve tee kept me cool and covered up, which was necessary later in the evening, when we were in an air-conditioned room.  The silver Arizona Birko Flors are good for short walks, but uncomfortable for long distances. 

Family-to-Family is a NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Signature Program.  It's an education class where family members and loved ones of someone living with a psychiatric diagnosis can learn to improve their communication skills, self-care skills and coping skills when helping their loved one.  It has helped countless families and improved the lives of the family members and the people living with the diagnosis.  Towards the end of the class, peers living with a psychiatric diagnosis come to speak to the class about their experiences with their families - what helped, what didn't help, what their family members could have done better, and what made a difference in their recovery.  That's where I come in - I talk about how my family helped me through my difficult times.  Sometimes they provided tough love when I needed it, and sometimes they provided gentle, loving support.  My family, as well as my friends, have definitely made the difference for me, and I'm grateful for that.