Sunday, June 29, 2014

Boardwalk Bash Health Fair

Boardwalk Bash Health Fair
Top Row, left to right: Ultrafino Panama Fedora, Body Glide Anti-Chafe, Carmex Lip Balm.  Second Row:  Lane Bryant Black and White Striped V-Neck Tee, J. Jill Pull-On Linen Pants in Black, Banana Boat Kids Spray Mist Sunscreen SPF 50, La Roche Posay Antehelios Sunscreen SPF 60.  Bottom Row:  Chaco Sandals, Walgreens Aloe Vera Sensitive Skin Gel, Contigo Water Bottle. 



Friday, June 27, 2014, I was at the Midland Beach Boardwalk Bash, which is a health fair for senior citizens, but obviously anyone can come.  I was staffing the table for NAMI NYC Staten Island, with my friend Patty, and her friend Tiffany.  Many people came to the table and we gave away plenty of literature and helped dozens of people. 

Since we were going to be out in the sun for several hours, and both Patty and I are fair, I took a supply of sun care products with me:  Banana Boat Spray Mist Sunscreen for Kids, SPF 50; La Roche Posay Antehelios Sunscreen, SPF 60, for the face; and aloe vera gel, to help with any sunburn.  The sunscreen came in handy, because I had to reapply, and a woman came to the table, asking for sunscreen for her child.  Patty thoughtfully packed a good amount of water and fresh fruit, which we needed to cool down and fortify ourselves. 

I have to be careful in the sun.  Even though I enjoyed being at the beach and outdoors, I found myself getting irritable and restless, at which point I would either go for a walk, or I'd drink some water, and then I would feel better. 

It was a successful day, even if I did get too much sun.  It's for a good cause!

 
Here I am at the NAMI NYC Staten Island table.   Patty was nice enough to put up the umbrella so we wouldn't bake out in the sun. 
 
Be careful out there when you're having fun in the sun!  Remember to apply sunscreen every two hours and after perspiring or swimming.  Stay hydrated with water, and fresh fruit that has a high water content, like watermelon, peaches, nectarines, plums, grapes, cantaloupe, honeydew melons, etc.   Don't stay out in the sun too long - take frequent breaks in the shade or indoors and remember to drink water.   

Here are some links with tips for taking care of yourself in the sun this summer: