Sunday, March 30, 2014

Speaking to a College Class, 3/24/2014

Speaking to a College Class, 3/24/2014
From left to right: Lane Bryant T-3 Jeans, LL Bean Boat Neck Tunic, Lane Bryant Ponte Knit Jacket, Doc Martens Boots, Pink and Blue Tote.







Last Monday, I spoke to a college class as part of my volunteer work for NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness.  It went well, I thought; the class was involved and engaged and asked many good, thoughtful questions.  Talking with the college students is always a positive experience, even though sometimes it can be difficult, because they don't always ask "easy" questions.  We're there to help them learn about how people live with the challenges of psychiatric diagnoses, as family members and as people living with a diagnosis.  

Sometimes dressing for this class can be difficult, because I want to hit the right balance of casual and approachable, but I also want to come across as a professional adult.  I think this outfit struck the right balance. 

The jade necklace in the picture is a dragon, but the necklace I actually wore was a jade Kwan Yin, to remind me to be compassionate.  I picked it up at an outdoor vendor one summer day in downtown Brooklyn some years ago.  Is it real jade?  I don't know.  However, it did the job of reminding me to be compassionate and pay attention to what everyone had to say.