Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Rainy Day Sunday, NY Botanical Gardens & Train Show, 12/22/2013

Rainy Day Sunday, NY Botanical Gardens & Train Show, 12/22/2013
From left to right: Lane Bryant T3 Straight-Leg Jeans, Hiking Boots, Pink and Blue Tote, eos lip balm, J. Jill Elbow-Sleeve V-neck Tee, J. Jill Denim Shirt, LL Bean H2Off! Trench Coat.  
Color pictures of the New York Botanical Gardens:  The Bridge, The Train Show, The Rock Garden.



Truly, I have been in a post-holiday eating haze, and forgot to write this post!  I am no doubt excommunicated from The Church of Righteous Blogging!

However, I did want to write about visiting my brother's wonderful family when we went to the Train Show at the New York Botanical Gardens this past Sunday, 12/22/2013.

I have some pictures to post, too.

This was at the entrance to the Train Show.  
In the Conservatory:  In my sad attempt to capture everything I wanted in the photo, I had to resort to this bizarre angle.  I told my brother Bud, "It looks like I was on drugs, but I wasn't."  He said, "This is your brain on botanicals, huh?"
A model of the Brooklyn Bridge.  All the models are made of organic materials.  
This is a model of an old mansion on Fifth Avenue.  
This is a model of a building found in Central Park.  I thought it was cute.  
This is a model of the George Washington Bridge, which connects Fort Lee, NJ with Upper Manhattan.  

I went to the NY Botanical Gardens and Train Show with my brother John, his wife Delia, their daughters Anna and Rose, her husband Rob, and their two daughters, my great-nieces.  I think we were there about 2 1/2 hours, but we packed a lot of activity into those 2 1/2 hours.  

I was glad I wore my hiking boots, because we did a lot of walking.  I dressed for the weather, which was warm and rainy.  It went up to 71* Sunday!  I took off my raincoat and left it in my brother John's truck, and I was glad I did, because walking through the Conservatory, which was where the Train Show was located, was a hot and sweaty business.  

To kill time until the next Train Show, we decided to go on the Tram Ride, which I really enjoyed.  I'm a natural history buff, and I love learning about plants, flowers, and trees.  I thought the gardens were beautiful even in December.  The Tram Ride was scenic and informative.  

The Tram let us off at the Conservatory.  The lines for the Train Show were long, but it was worth the wait.  People were pretty decent, and everyone I encountered was polite.  My little great-nieces were very well-behaved, I thought.  

Rather than go straight through to the Train Show, we decided to go off on a side excursion and see the rest of the Conservatory, which was the Rainforest exhibit, the Desert exhibit, and the orchid collection.  It was a good decision, because the exhibits were truly beautiful and interesting.  Plus, they smelled great!  I love that warm, earthy smell, that the earth has after a refreshing rain.  That's what the whole Conservatory smelled like.  They have a great many unusual plants that you won't see anywhere outside of their natural habitat.  

The Train Show was wonderful, and the kids really enjoyed it.  There was something for everyone, adults and kids.  The model structures were amazing.  Most of the important landmarks in the five boroughs of New York City were represented.  

Afterwards, we had dinner at a local Italian place, Patrizio's, where they made pizza in a wood-burning oven.  Not to make any local Staten Island pizza places jealous, but this was the best pizza I have ever had, hands down.  Their Margherita pie was divine, as was everything else we had.  

My great-nieces thoroughly enjoyed their little Hello Kitty dolls!  

Thanks to my niece Rose's driving skills, I made the 5:58 MetroNorth back to Grand Central Terminal, and I was home in less than an hour and a half.  Considering that it took me almost three hours to go 5 miles on Staten Island during rush hour one day last week, that's quite an accomplishment for the Metropolitan Transit Authority.  

So a warm and hearty "THANK YOU!!!"  goes out to my brother John and his family for a really wonderful, memorable day.  It was definitely a "Merry Christmas"!