Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What I Wore: NAMI NYS Education Conference, Friday 11/15 to Sunday 11/17/2013

What I Wore: NAMI NYS Education Conference, Friday 11/15 to Sunday 11/17/2013
Top Row:  Gray LL Bean Jeans, Gray Lane Bryant Long Sleeve V-neck Tee, LL Bean Black Trail Model Fleece Vest, J. Jill Crinkle Scarf, LL Bean H2Off!  Trench Coat, Mary Jean Sneakers, Tote and Duffel Bag.
2nd Row:  Black LL Bean Twill Chinos, Black Coldwater Creek Cardigan, Blue J. Jill Ballet Sleeve V-neck Tee, Rose Quartz Pendant, Black Satchel Handbag, Aerosoles Black Army Loafers.
3rd Row: Lane Bryant Pajamas in Royal Crown, J. Jill Ballet Sleeve Scoop Neck Tee, Black LL Bean Twill Chinos, Black Coldwater Creek Cardigan.
Bottom Row:  Gray LL Bean Jeans, J. Jill Ballet Sleeve Scoop Neck Tee, Black LL Bean Trail Model Fleece Vest, J. Jill Crinkle Scarf, LL Bean H2Off!  Trench Coat, Mary Jane Sneakers.



The trip to Albany and back home was great, uneventful both times (which is all you can ask for in a road trip).  I was so exhausted and worn out from the preparations for the trip, that I was too tired to fully take advantage of all the breakout sessions and plenaries at the conference, but nevertheless, I had a good time, met some great people from around New York State, and I learned a great deal from the breakout sessions and events that I did attend.  

I shared my Program Leadership award with Annalissa Vicencio, who is the Program Director for the National Alliance on Mental Illness affiliate in Westchester.  I was honored to share it with her.  We attended the Peer-to-Peer training in April, and it was great to see her again.  

We also share an interest in music and neuroscience.  Did you know that music helps keep the brain in good shape?  It's true!  People who learned to play music early in life reap the benefits of that training throughout life, regardless of whether they continue to play an instrument.  Playing an instrument helps keep the brain agile, as well, into old age.  Helps build those cognitive reserves!  These benefits accrue even if you learn an instrument as an adult.  

On to the fashion:  I had to make some changes in my weekend wardrobe, because it was just not practical to take the jacket, and the conference was not as formal as I thought it would be.  Everyone was dressed casually and comfortably ... you have to be when you're sitting in breakout sessions all day, and running from place to place, especially in a big hotel like the Desmond Hotel and Conference Center, where the conference was held in Albany.  So when it came down to choosing between comfort and style, I went with comfort.  

I wore the jeans, fleece vest, and mary jane sneakers for the road trip.  I wore the loafers and the black pants and cardigan during the conference.  The pink scarf and t-shirts added a pop of color.  I really needed warmer tops, though, because the hotel was cold!  The weather outside was unseasonably warm, but inside the hotel ... brrr!  I had the heat in my room cranked up to 82.5* F., just to stay warm.  

Once again, my LL Bean Boat & Tote stood me in good stead.  I carried it with me throughout the trip - in the car, to the breakout sessions, to dinner to collect literature and take notes.  Everybody loves that tote, and it's become kind of a signature piece for me, LOL!    I'm easily recognized because of my pink and blue tote bag.