Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What I Wore Tuesday, 9/24/2013 Shopping at the Mall

What I Wore Tuesday, 9/24/2013 Shopping at the Mall
Topshop Denim Jacket, Lane Bryant v-neck black and white striped t-shirt, silver beaded necklace, LL Bean black pebbled leather belt, Bonne Bell Strawberry Lip Smacker, LL Bean brown Comfort Mocs, pink and blue tote, LL Bean Twill Chinos.  




Yes, I went to the Mall (the Staten Island Mall - there's only one Mall on Staten Island and it's called "The Mall") and I ate crepes, and I shopped at Lane Bryant, but before I did all that I had to spend an hour or so being tortured in the dentist's chair.  It was just a checkup and cleaning, but the x-rays hurt, and the cleaning was nightmarish.  Does anyone remember that old movie with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier, "Marathon Man"?  Olivier plays a dentist who was a Nazi in his former life (yes, a Nazi dentist - someone with severe dentist-phobia thought that one up, I'm sure) and he's interrogating Dustin Hoffman in the dentist's chair.  As he's drilling, he keeps asking Hoffman, "Is it safe?  Is it safe?  Is it safe?"  As kids, my siblings and I had all been traumatized to varying degrees by the local dentist, Dr. L, so this scene resonated with us.  So yeah, my visit to the dentist today was reminiscent of that scene.  

I had some sports bras to return to Lane Bryant, and I had a $10 rewards cheque I could only use in the store.  They were very nice about the return, and I got all my money back, to my relief.  I came in just before the 90-day return policy ran out.  Two days more and I wouldn't have been so lucky.  

I didn't see many clothing items or accessories in the store that I wanted, so I picked up some PJ's, which I desperately need.  I bought some t-shirts and a pair of PJ's on their website yesterday.  They were having a one-day 40% off sale, so I took advantage of it.  

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find clothes to fit me as a plus-size woman that are tasteful and classic.  Everything in their store screamed "Look at me!  I'm TRENDY!!!!"  I really don't want to buy a military jacket that I'm going to wear a few times only to have it look out of place next year.  I love Lane Bryant, and they have really nice basics, like t-shirts, jeans and trousers and some shirts, and their intimates fit me really well, but I did not find the happiness I sought in there today.  I guess they're getting into "fast fashion" like a lot of other stores, to attract the younger customers.  I feel ignored.  A couple of years ago, I really liked their clothes, but ... meh.  Maybe they'll turn it around again, and I'll start liking their styles again.