Friday, July 26, 2013

Summer Skincare Survival

Summer Skincare Survival
All products from The Body Shop unless otherwise noted:  Jumbo Size Satsuma Shower Gel, Fieldtex GoodSense Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50, TBS exfoliating towel, Satsuma Body Polish, TBS pumice stone, TBS cactus body brush, Satsuma Body Butter, Coconut Body Butter, Seaweed Mattifying Moisture Lotion SPF 15, Seaweed Pore-Cleansing Facial Exfoliator, Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash, Shea Lip Butter, Coconut Lip Butter.  



I forgot to add Carmex Moisturizing Lip Balm with SPF 15.  The sunscreen and the Carmex lip balm I got from my health insurance OTC benefit.  The sunscreen is good; I was out in the sun one day for several hours and I didn't get burned at all.  Only problem I had was when I was perspiring, the sweat got in my eyes and it stung like a SOB.  And that didn't even happen until I got home, so I just rinsed off the sunscreen from my face.  But, lesson learned:  One needs a separate sunscreen for the body and the face.  SPF 15 is not high enough, I was told by CharlestonGirl of the blog The Best Things in Beauty; one needs at least 30.  I'm going to use the rest of the TBS Seaweed Mattifying Moisture Lotion SPF 15, and then I'm going to switch to either Aveeno or Neutrogena SPF 30 facial moisturizers.  Also, since I'm getting older and my skin has changed from being oily to normal-to-dry, I don't need a mattifying moisture lotion anymore.  If anyone has a facial moisturizer with SPF 30 that they can recommend, I'm open.

I have so many exfoliating products because it's important to exfoliate, especially in the summer.  I read in Lauren Conrad's blog that she recommended exfoliating the skin before you shave, because it's easier to get a closer shave.  Also, skin is more on display in the summer months, so you want it to look smooth and soft.

You don't even have to do everything all in one day.  One day exfoliate your feet and elbows with the pumice stone while you're in the shower, another day do a facial exfoliating.  If you have time one day, do a full body brush with a body brush if you have one, or just use a body scrub while you're conditioning your hair in the shower.  You don't have to make more work for yourself, because I'm sure you want to enjoy life in the summer, whether it's hanging out with friends at the park, the beach, the pool or at a BBQ, or just chillaxin' to some good tunes in your (hopefully) cool home.

An easy at-home exfoliation product is baking soda:  Mix about a tablespoon in your palm with your facial cleanser, and spread it over your face with circular motions with your fingertips, massaging the skin.  Then rinse.

An easy at-home facial mask, to cut down on oily skin in the summer, is Milk of Magnesia.  Spread about a tablespoon of Milk of Magnesia on your face, leave it to dry for about 15 minutes, then rinse.  You can follow it up with the baking soda exfoliation, if your skin is breaking out.  Rinse thoroughly.

Those last two hints I got from Paula Begoun's book, Blue Eyeshadow Should Still Be Illegal.

I hope you're all enjoying good weather.  Stay safe in the sun!