Saturday, May 11, 2013

Outfit Possibility Inspired by Kiah of the blog, "From the Rez to the City"

Outfit Possibility Inspired by Kiah of the blog, "From the Rez to the City"




Kiah of the blog, From the Rez to the City, created an outfit where she combined a vintage navy jacket with boyfriend jeans.  I thought to myself, "Hmm, I have a navy jacket and plenty of jeans - maybe I could make it work?"  This is an experiment.  I'm turning into a basic jeans and t-shirt kind of woman, but I like to break out of that pattern (I refuse to admit I'm in a rut!) every now and again, and Kiah provided a perfect example of combining the casual look of jeans with a dressy jacket, kicking the outfit up a notch.  

I did two colorways, grounded by neutral accessories.  The chino jacket is navy from LL Bean (no longer available in women's plus size).  The jeans are Lane Bryant T-3 jeans.  The t-shirts are J. Jill, one in Rose Pink and one in white.  The top scarf is in Rose Pink by J. Jill, and the bottom one is a casual floral scarf from LL Bean.  The handbag and shoes are similar to ones I own.  

The top colorway, pink and navy, reminds me of the color combinations from the 80's, when people were into the "preppy" look.  If I wanted to be really retro, I would wear pink slouchy socks and colorful oxfords and a pink handbag.  Nowadays I would be afraid of dressing like one of my little nieces - it's a cute look on a 3 or 4 year old; not so much on me.  

I have to think of an opportunity to wear one of these outfits.  Which reminds me, I have to get my jeans hemmed next week.  I don't understand why Lane Bryant has an inseam of about 35" on their average jeans - not even the tall sizes!  I'm forced to cuff the jeans or get them hemmed.  I'm not a woman's petite, either - I'm 5' 7".  LL Bean pants, on the other hand, fit me exactly right.  Maybe I should start buying my jeans from LL Bean?  Or J. Jill - they fit me pretty well, too.