Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Retail Therapy Burnout

I'm sorry I haven't blogged in awhile.  I went to visit Lane Bryant in the Staten Island Mall a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't recovered.  All I did was pick up my bras and t-shirts that I had ordered online, and then I sat down to wait for my friend to finish her shopping.  But somehow, the sheer multitude of choices, in lingerie, shoes, accessories, and clothing, overwhelmed me.  Also, the hectic pace inside the store, with many customers and not enough staff to wait on them, disturbed me.  It was a Saturday, so of course it was hectic.  I just have to make a mental note to myself not to go shopping in stores on the weekend.

I used to thrive on this kind of activity.  Not anymore.  This is why I shop online rather than going to stores.  I don't cope well with crowds, pressure and stress.  And it's not that anyone was rude to me; on the contrary, people were very polite and friendly.  It's just that it's too overstimulating for me.

I used to be a champion shopper.  I could spend with the best of them.  I can't afford to do that anymore, though.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, either.  I would rather have fewer, high quality items in my wardrobe, that look good on me and that will wear well for a long time, than a lot of things that don't stand the test of time, and can't justify the real estate they occupy in my wardrobe.  So I take my time and think about my purchases now, and having wish lists and sites like Polyvore and Pinterest, allow me to do that.

Anyway, after my trip to Lane Bryant, I was in Fashion Overload.  I really did not want to look at another item of clothing, or accessories, shoes, handbags or anything related to fashion.  However, I seem to have recovered, because I'm back reading my fashion magazines and visiting fashion and beauty websites.  I even made an appointment to get my hair cut and I'm planning on a mani/pedi!  These are all carefully planned expenditures, though.

Do any of you use techniques, whether online or in real life, to keep yourselves from overspending?