Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Stuff I Bought Today; or, Inside the Mind of a Shopaholic

Stuff I Bought Today




I went shopping today for the first time in what seems like a long time, but it's only been since June.  However, in May, the only things I bought online where two thermometers from Bed Bath & Beyond - a meat thermometer and an oven thermometer, both very essential to successful cooking and baking.  In May, both my roommate and I went a little haywire and spent money frivolously, on things like dining out, pedicures, eyebrow waxes and for me in particular, iTunes.  I'm convinced that the road to ruin is paved with iTunes.

In the beginning of June, I made my Old Navy purchase, but in the second half of the month, my money was not in my hands.  Some would consider that a good thing, but it was not a good situation for me, because I had no money for food, which is necessary to live.  I scraped by, and then last week my money was back in my hands.  But June was not an easy month, for that reason.

Now my money is back in my control again, and I needed some things, and The Body Shop and Lane Bryant had good sales going on.  I bought 9 of the seamless lace briefs, which I got for $7.22 each - full price, they're $16 each.  I can't even begin to tell you how desperate the underwear situation was getting around here.  Even better, these are no visible panty line panties!  They don't cling, either - all good things.

The Body Shop products are great ... I can't say enough good things about them.  The Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash is the only thing I have found that works really well on cleansing my face.  The Seaweed Purifying Facial Cleanser does not work as well.  My skin is oily/combination and it needs a more thorough cleanser.  I got three of those, because TBS has a 40% off sale going on just for today (7/18/2012), and if you have a Love Your Body discount card, you get an additional 10% off, plus points added towards future purchases.  So I got 50% off everything you see there, bringing the average price per item to about $8 each.  If you consider that facial cleansers in the average NYC drugstore cost about $12 and up, and the fragrance alone was almost $30, the savings were pretty significant.

However, I still have to get a pedicure and eyebrow wax, get my capri pants from Old Navy tailored, plus buy food for the month.  Life on a fixed income is not easy.  At least I don't have to worry about underwear or skincare products for awhile.

I have been finding my Out of the Dark budget to be helpful, as long as I write down what I spend each day.  I keep track of all my expenses in a little notebook.  Today my spending, including paying all my bills and putting aside money for rent, was enough to make me feel faint.  I think I'm going to be doing my own pedicure and tweezing my own eyebrows.  No dining out this month.  You know how the saying goes: If you want to play, you gotta pay.  I've done enough playing for this month.  Even though it was stuff I needed (well, OK, no one really needs skincare products - only if you don't want to look like a scaly, oily mess when you go out in public), and I saved a lot of money, as one of my friends likes to point out, I would have saved a lot more money if I hadn't shopped in the first place.  But then I would be walking around with skanky panties and ugly skin, and smelling stinky, too.  No one wants that.  I did a public service by spending money on my upkeep.

See?  I can justify ANY purchase!