Monday, October 17, 2011

Trends That Have Become Modern Classics

I've been downloading and reading various articles about everywoman's wardrobe essentials.  Everyone has a different idea of what these items should be.  There's the ubiquitous white shirt, the pencil skirt, the dress pant, the jacket, a good pair of dark-rinse jeans, the trench coat, the white cotton t-shirt, and a camisole or tank top.  However, I think there are some "trendy" items that have made it into the realm of the classics.  Here they are:

The fleece jacket.  The fleece jacket has earned a spot in my style repertoire, because I don't like to be chilly, and it has a casual, sporty look without looking sloppy, like an old faded sweatshirt.  I bought this one ages ago at a store in Manhattan.  I liked it so much, I bought my dad one, and two for myself - this one in red and another one in gray.  It has a good length (low hip), a 3/4 zip, and elasticized bands on the hem of the sleeves, which makes it comfy to roll up the sleeves.  It also has large, on-seam pockets in the front, which means you have the storage option of pockets, but without the bulk.
 The 3/4 sleeve top (the pink sweater has 3/4 sleeves and a V-neck).  I like the 3/4 sleeve, and I think a lot of other women do, too, because it keeps your arms warm, but you don't have to constantly keep pushing your sleeves out of the way to wash up, type, write, draw, look at your watch, show off your bracelets, or do whatever it is you need to do with your sleeves rolled up, like get to work!  Also, it's easier to wear 3/4 sleeve jackets with a 3/4 sleeve or short sleeve shirt, because the alternative is just WRONG.  V-necks are also good for us larger sized women, because they allow us to show off some skin in a nice place on the body.
 A t-shirt with detailing at the neck.  Shirts with detailing at the neck have become very popular, I've noticed, whether it be fabric detailing, or graphics or beading.  Coldwater Creek has some great shirts with neck detailing.  Once again, like the V-neck, it brings attention to a nice area on a woman's body.
 A dressy denim jacket or a denim jacket in a unique cut.  I think it's safe to say that the denim jacket, in almost any cut, has become a modern classic.  This model from DKNY Jeans is a classic blazer cut, with updated seamed detailing, and zippers on the sleeves.  I haven't worn it yet, it's been too warm, but soon, soon!
 The fedora!  I love the fedora, in summer-weight straw styles, or in wool felt for the colder months.  This trend has been going strong for a few seasons now, and I think it will be around for quite a while.  Just make sure you get it in a classic "film noir" Humphrey Bogart style, and not a style that makes you look like a pimp on the lam.  Unless you like that kind of look ...
The denim skirt.  I love the denim skirt, but please, please, please don't wear the tight denim mini skirt with leggings.  It's a trend that's seen better days.  Like, the 80's.  I loved the 80's, but this is one trend I wouldn't want to see return.  Unfortunately, on Staten Island, this trend seems never to have died (neighbor lady, I'm looking at you!).

That said, however, the denim skirt looks cute at knee length.  Stay away from the kind with heavily detailed seams, and go for a clean, classic cut.  I really don't like the way the fly looks in the front (why is it there?  They're not pants!) because the unfortunate phenomenon of "tenting" occurs, which makes a lady look less like a lady, in my opinion.  It's a detail that's simply not necessary.  Same thing with buttons on the front.  If you do get buttons in the front, go for a lighter weight denim, and an A-line skirt, otherwise you're going to have the "tenting" phenomenon again.  Unless you like looking like a guy ... if that's your thing, go for it!  Tent away!

I was at a conference at the College of Staten Island on Friday, and I noticed quite a few of the young ladies were wearing a classic 80's combo:  knee high boots, leggings and a tunic sweater or jacket.  This is a look that must be done with care.  Keep your bum covered unless you want perverts looking at you. Also, this look works better on women with long, trim legs.  I used to be one of those women.  Alas, this is no longer the case, so I won't be wearing this trend, even though it is temptingly comfortable.