Sunday, August 7, 2011

Truth in Advertising

It's come to my attention through this post in this blog ....

http://smartypanties.com/2009/10/20/ftc-endorsement-guidelines-what-bloggers-should-know-and-whats-going-down/

and similar blog posts in the same blog, that bloggers are required by the FTC to disclose their sources of revenue, and whether they're getting compensated in cash or in kind by the companies whose products they review or feature in their blogs.

Well, I never receive revenue from any of the products or companies you see in my blog.  When I started this blog, I knew I wanted it to be a revenue-free zone (pretty weird, right?).  You see, I'm on a fixed income from disability and anything I earn I have to report to the government, because I can't earn above a certain amount in any month.  So it would be a TREMENDOUS pain in the ass for me to collect revenue from companies, report it to the government and then have to worry about going over the limit of what I can earn in that month.  Also, and more important, I wanted to be an honest blogger.  If I hate something, I want to be able to say I hate it without having to worry about nastiness and repercussions from a company.  I want my opinions to be totally my own.  Because, fundamentally, that's all they are:  Opinions.  I expect you, as a discerning reader, will take them with a grain of salt and come to your own conclusions.  Also I didn't want to be the type of blogger who tries every product thrown at her, only to say to her readers:  "This product is great!  It cleared my skin/eliminated my lines/washed my dishes and cooked dinner to perfection!!!"  Because you would be able to tell I was bullshitting you.  And even if you couldn't, I could.  And I don't want to do that.  I've known a few of you for a long time now, and even if I haven't known you for years, I have enough respect for all of you not to insult your intelligence.

So rest assured, the opinions in this blog are totally my own, and I'm not under the influence of any companies, authors, online or brick-and-mortar retailers, publishing companies, psychiatric institutions, tattoo and piercing parlors, alternate realities or TV shows (heck, I don't even own a TV!).  However, in the interest of full disclosure, I am under the influence of psychotropic and medicinal drugs, so there may occasionally be a warp in the space/time continuum, a blip on the screen of reality, while I'm writing this blog.  You have been warned.

Also in the interest of full disclosure, I read MANY, MANY magazines:  O, People, People StyleWatch, More, InStyle, Real Simple, Storage and expected to arrive soon in the mail, Better Homes & Gardens.  I also read the New York Times online.  The Post and the News can go choke on their own sputum for all I care.  They are rags fit only for wrapping fish.  I also happily purchase most of my books from Amazon.com.  The less I have to go out and interact with people and The Great Outdoors the happier I am.  Did I mention my neighborhood has no sidewalks?  It's a real challenge getting anywhere while avoiding being hit by a vehicle.  Try it sometime!  Believe me, you'll develop a new appreciation for life.