Sunday, July 31, 2011

What's in the Bag

Because I've been seeing these posts everywhere (what's in the makeup bag, what's in the handbag) I decided to do one, too, not wanting to be left out of the trend.  :)  That's the contents of my summer handbag, right there.

I used the LL Bean Design-Your-Own-Tote service to design my own handbag.  The bag is about 6 years old.  
 From the top, left:  A Coach mini-skinny (a gift from an old boss), Love, Etc. solid perfume from The Body Shop, cucumber & melon hand sanitizer, The Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Oil-Free Facial Lotion SPF 15, Burt's Bees Hand Salve, large Band-Aids (in case of blisters), Neutrogena Deep Clean Oil-Free Makeup Remover Wipes, because NYC gets hot, sticky and grimy in the summertime!
 Some Bonne Belle Lipsmackers, and The Body Shop lip glosses, a Sharpie double-pointed black marker, Zebra Sarasa black and oxblood gel pens, a highlighter, a MetroCard (NYC's mass transit payment card), a comb, a Revlon Mirror, Halls cough drops (in case of dry mouth), Shout stain remover wipes, a stack of business cards.
 My tan Filofax Agenda, my Coach wallet, tissues, Moleskine notebooks:  my reading log and my portable journal.
 A wider view.
The whole enchilada.  I can't believe all that crap fits in that one little bag!  My secret:  I use Ziploc baggies.  My friend Diane introduced me to the concept.  It makes it easier to find little items that would otherwise get trapped on the bottom.

I usually carry the featured handbag from June to September.  Then in October I switch out to my Coach black pebbled leather hobo.  I also have black and brown leather satchel handbags from Coach.  The brown one is very old - from the early 90's.  I like lighter handbags in the summer, though.  It's hot enough without toting leather around.  Straw or canvas seems like the way to go.  I like Coach - they're expensive, but you get what you pay for - I use my black pebbled leather hobo almost every day from October to June, and it still looks good.  I've had it for four years now.

I think I've said before that my theory on handbags is that a lady should have at least three:  A fall/winter everyday leather bag, a dress leather bag, and a summer bag, of a lighter material, like canvas, cloth or straw.  If you want, you can throw in an evening clutch, if you go to a lot of glamorous evening events, and a light-colored leather dress bag for the spring/summer months.  If you go to the beach or on picnics in the spring and summer, you should get a sturdy tote bag - LL Bean makes good totes, and you can design your own, and have it monogrammed with your initials or name (see bag above).  You can also use a large tote for going to the farmer's market.  A budget-conscious option is to use the reusable shopping totes you can get for $.99-$1.99 at the supermarket or drugstore, or use the free ones that some stores give away with purchases.  Aerosoles recently had a gift with purchase where I received a fleece blanket and a colorful cloth tote with my online order.  Cosmetic companies are good for that, too.  They always seem to be giving away tote bags with their gifts-with-purchase or bargain purchase-with-purchase (like where you get a $155 gift set for $35 or something like that - I am not wise to the ways of the cosmetic counter - I only know enough to know I should stay away from it!).

Of course, if you're vegan, or just want cruelty-free products, you can get good bags in nylon, vinyl or pleather, canvas, cloth or straw or even recycled rubber - there are so many eco-friendly materials to choose from.

Anyway, it's getting late in the morning, and I have to do my weekly day-of-beauty ritual.  Once a week, I try to give myself a facial mask, exfoliating salt scrub, condition my hair and moisturize from head to toe.  I should probably moisturize every day, but sometimes I'm just too busy and the schedule does not allow for those extra minutes.  Or I'm too tired, LOL.  

Have a great week, everyone!