Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Is It Possible To Have Too Much Denim?

My denim collection, not including jeans:

 From left to right:  DKNYC Denim Jacket, Coldwater Creek Denim Jacket, Lane Bryant Denim Jacket

A close-up of the DKNYC Denim Jacket.  The sleeves were too long, so I had to have them shortened.  There was a zipper on the bottom quarter of the sleeve, which had to be shortened as well.  It takes something away from the jacket, but the sleeves were too ridiculously long.  
 The Coldwater Creek Denim Jacket - I got it on sale for about $20!  I use this for casual wear, like going on walks or to the deli, or cruising around the neighborhood, or running errands.
 The Lane Bryant Denim Jacket.  I use this for dressier casual occasions, like going out with friends.
 Hey, I thought this was an all-denim show!  :)  These are my sunhats.  The one on the left is the Ultrafino Panama Fedora I've been wearing everywhere this summer.  The one on the right is my LL Bean sunhat - it's more ladylike.  I haven't worn it yet ... I'm waiting for the right occasion.
 Closeup of the Panama Fedora.  The cut-out pattern above the brim actually keeps my head cool and ventilated.  The wide brim provides shade and sun protection (along with sunblock, of course).
 Closeup of the LL Bean sunhat.  It has a cord so you can fasten it under your chin.
 Denim overload:  A three-piece denim suit - jacket, trouser-style pants and pencil skirt; and a gored denim skirt from LL Bean.
 The jacket and pants, from Lane Bryant.  The jacket has ruffled trim, which is cute and classy.  I wore this combination with a white t-shirt and some costume jewelry to my friend Jack's birthday party, and I got a lot of compliments.
 The denim pencil skirt, part of the suit from Lane Bryant.
The gored denim skirt from LL Bean.  I'm dying to wear this for a casual occasion!  I think I might have to have the waist taken in, though.

One of my chief fit problems is that my waist is small compared to my hips and bust, which I know is supposed to be an asset, but it really makes it difficult to get clothes that fit.

So what do you think, is this too much denim?  It's too hot this time of year to wear any denim, really, but from Fall to late Spring, it's appropriate.  I think I'll be getting a lot of wear out of these outfits when the weather gets cooler.

Some people say you shouldn't wear two denim items together at all because it's overload, but I think I would make an exception for the suit and wear the trouser pants and pencil skirt with the ruffled trim jacket.  I confess I also wear the more casual denim jackets with jeans.  I also wear them with skirts and khakis and my LL Bean Perfect Fit pants.  I would be more inclined to wear the DKNYC jacket alone, without any other denim item, and the LL Bean gored skirt, too.

So apparently I went from having a lot of black in my closet to having a lot of denim, LOL!  Time to come up with some creative combinations to make some cute outfits!