Tuesday, June 28, 2011

An Unexpected Trip to the City

Friday night my friend Ange called me up and asked me if I was planning on going to the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) NYC Metro Wellness Conference on Saturday, at the NYS Psychiatric Institute.  I told her I had planned on going, but forgot to RSVP.  She said she RSVP'd that she'd be bringing a group of people, and would I like to come?  Of course I said yes.

So Saturday I went to Manhattan.  The Wellness Conference was great - I went to Stress Management, which was very relaxing and soothing, then I had a Reiki session, then I went to LaffYoga, Laughter Yoga, which was a lot of fun, even though I started out in a bad mood (because I'm me, and that's how I roll).  I was feeling kind of depressed for some forgotten reason, so I faked the laughter, but eventually I got into it and it felt pretty good!  There's a LaffYoga class for free every Wednesday night in Times Square.  I think I'd like to go.  It burns calories, and believe me, I need that.  So I'll be doing Prana Yoga and LaffYoga.  I was supposed to go to yoga tonight, but once again, I forgot to RSVP.  When I called the teacher, the class was all filled up, so there was no room for me!  So I RSVP'd for the next class.  Hopefully I'll remember to go.

After the Wellness Conference, we decided we'd like to go to the Village so Ange could get her eyebrow and nose pierced, and Kristin was entertaining the thought of getting a tattoo.  Long story short, that's exactly what happened.  I also wanted to celebrate the passage of the Marriage Equality legislation, and toast the friends who didn't live to see this day, and Judy Garland, whose death kick-started the Gay Liberation Movement and the Stonewall Riots.  We did the toasting at a bar called The Grisly Pear, which was a Karaoke bar.  Those performers were awesome ... they had some serious pipes!  One guy in particular was excellent, Seth, who rocked the house with a performance of "Born to be Wild."

But the people-watching in Manhattan was fabulous, as always.  I saw one couple in particular, a man and a woman, who looked to be about in their 60's, who got on the train at Lincoln Center (66th St.).  They were impeccably dressed.  They were wearing white linen shirts and khaki linen pants.  They were both blond.  They looked like they walked off the beach in the Hamptons.  They looked relaxed and casual, but nothing was out of place - their linens weren't even rumpled.  I think they were the height of summer chic.  There were plenty of gorgeous young things on the train, all in miniskirts or shorts, and they were cute, but this couple took the cake for class and elegance.

I wish I had taken my camera with me ... if I had known I was going to be traveling around town that day, I would have, but I didn't know.  We took pictures in front of the Stonewall Inn and in a little park across the street.  I hung out for a while in Father Demo Square Park, and managed to drop a huge blob of chocolate ice cream down the front of my white shirt and down my pants leg.  I thought I got the stain out of the shirt, but you can still see a shadow.

Lane Bryant was having a sale on that particular t-shirt, and another style t-shirt, buy 2/get 2 free, so I bought four for $49.50.  I can't really afford it, but I don't want to walk around in stained clothes, either.  I made a really big purchase earlier in the month, two pillows from The Company Store - a bed pillow (where you can prop yourself up in bed and read) and a Euro Square to replace my current Euro Square, which is over 20 years old.  It's soft and comfy, but it's really time to retire it.  I have to start curbing my spending.  I still don't have proper hangers, a full-length mirror or a tall, wide bookshelf, and I've been wanting to get those things for the longest time.  But hey!  I'll be able to sit up in bed and read!  Not to mention that I need an ironing board.

But I have to say, everyone was very nice when we went to the city on Saturday.  When we stopped to figure out directions, people stopped by to assist (we didn't need assistance, but I guess we looked like tourists, LOL), and in the Village, everyone was so polite, easy-going and nice!  Quite a change from NYC on an average day.  On an average day when you bump into someone, you have to be wary that they might want to start something with you, but on Saturday everyone was so polite and friendly - when I bumped into people, they said "Sorry!  Are you OK?"  and I was like, "Oh, I'm sorry.  Yes, I'm fine, are you OK?"  It was like everyone was on happy pills.

Oh, I decided to get a membership to Weight Watchers instead of buying a Coach bag.  I figure that will help me more in the long run, and it would cost about as much, or actually, I just did the math, it will cost less.  So I think that was a good decision.  They were also having a sale, where it was free to join up, so I signed up online for the Monthly Pass.  Now I just have to get my butt to a meeting!  My sister got on my case.  She pointed out that last time I joined, I stopped going to meetings.  I was like, "Yes, but I lost weight anyway!"  Also, one of my friends started going to Overeaters Anonymous and I might go with her.  I figure, now that I'm disabled, I have all this time on my hands, I might as well use it for self-improvement.  As we said on Saturday, as we were running around the city, "What else am I going to do, sit home and surf the Internet?"

Wow, I'm so tired, I put my head down and I almost passed out!  Time for bed, at 2:22 AM.  Goodnight!