Monday, May 30, 2011

Listmania

I'm still planning a trip to the Big Apple ... I'm hoping a friend or my sister or other female relative will come with me.

So far I would like to go to:

Tip Top Shoes
La Crasia in Grand Central
Maybe a BIG COACH STORE!!!  (Just got a coupon for $100 off $300 - who could resist???)
The Container Store
Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic on Mercer Street
Maybe stop in at the original Kiehl's on Third Avenue - I used to love shopping there.  They have the best stuff.  Maybe sunscreen???

I should probably visit a few of my old favorite neighborhoods, too, like Greenwich Village, the East Village, the Flatiron District (Jo Malone, I hear you calling me!) and Chelsea.

It's really weird, for years I avoided the city.  I just hated having to go there after 9/11/2001.  I saw the whole thing happen.  I was in an express bus going into the city on the Gowanus Expressway, and really, it traumatized me.  So I really haven't gone into the city for fun, only unless I absolutely had to on personal business or for work.  There are a lot of things I miss about the city - the drive, the energy, the stores, the little out of the way places, the parks, yes, even the crabby, know-it-all people.  But I don't miss the crowds, the people rushing everywhere, the rudeness, the nastiness, the dirt (NYC has to be one of the dirtiest cities in America, really, and it's not like the Sanitation Department isn't holding up their end - it's just that the people are pigs).  Mind you, I say all this with love and the knowledge that I am in fact, PART of the City of New York.  In fact, I'm an honorary citizen, but I won't get into that, because that's bragging.  But I have a plaque!  And a commendation!

I'll have to find more nifty places to go on my trip to the city.  I may have to break it up over a few days. But this sounds like the beginnings of a plan!

I hope to be reviewing Nina Garcia's oeuvre, all four of her books.  Stay tuned!