Friday, March 4, 2011

The Result of the MSP Challenge to Not Buy Clothes for a Month

Well, I bought Intimate Apparel, and I bought pajamas.  I also bought a "Foamy" t-shirt.  I was going to wear it to see my psychiatrist, but I saw him Wednesday and I didn't have it on.  Plus, he really helped me out, so I don't think I should insult him.

I didn't buy clothes or accessories, aside from the above-mentioned items, but I bought a lot of products from The Body Shop, and my big splurge was spending $271 on bedding from The Company Store.  It arrived a couple of days ago, and it is gorgeous.  I purchased 100% cotton sheets, pillowcases and a duvet and duvet cover all in ivory, with my initials monogrammed in white.  I bought a Euro sham in khaki with my monogram in pink.  The monogram on the duvet was pink as well.  Alright, so I don't have the best sense of color.  I was going for a relaxing feel, and I figured ivory and khaki were the way to go.  I thought a little bit of baby pink would be cute.  It's not chic, but it's not like Diana Vreeland is going to be a houseguest anytime soon.

One thing I have been buying, after the challenge period ended on 2/26/2011, is shoes.  I've bought three pairs of shoes from Aerosoles.  One plain black loafer, one black croco print loafer, and a cream and tan loafer.  They have a great sale going on, so I only paid $34.99, $29.99 and $39.99 respectively for the shoes.

I still plan on going to Tip Top Shoes in Manhattan to get some Dansko clogs and maybe some dress shoes.  But that will have to wait.  Tip Top Shoes had a sale last month, but I didn't make it up there.  I've been loathe to leave the house in the winter weather.  It's warmed up considerably (wow, my dashboard says it's 31 outside!  Toasty!) during the day anyway - it gets up to the 40's and 50's.  This takes away my excuses for not going anywhere.

I have a plan to get some wardrobe basics:  A denim skirt, a black skirt, and perhaps jackets and pants to match.  Avenue has a sheath dress, suit jacket, skirt and pants that look good, but I never know with Avenue quality - it could be a good buy, or it could be a hot mess.  Lane Bryant has a really chic looking dark rinse denim pencil skirt, with a matching jacket, and a sateen series that comes in black, gray and tan, with a pencil skirt, trousers, and two styles of jacket - a 3/4 sleeve 3 button blazer, and a long-sleeve military jacket with patch pockets and a belt.  They also have a plain black pencil skirt, without a jacket.  I like jackets because they're so versatile, but in the warm months I hardly ever wear them (because I would roast in them!)  New York is pretty funny in the summertime - it can be temperate - 70's and 80's - or it can be viciously hot - over 100.  And as they say, it's not the heat, it's the humidity.

My shopping plan for these items is to go to the stores and see if I can try the items on before making a purchase.  Lane Bryant is having a 40% off sale until Sunday, which is pretty good, but the bank account is like, "Uh, no girl, I don't think so!"  All that shopping did me in, and now I have to stop.  I like The Budget Fashionista's solution to spending too much:  She suggests you use a reusable Visa or Amex gift card and put a set amount of money on it to use for shopping, to budget yourself.  When you run out of money on the gift card, no more shopping.  Or, set up a separate account for shopping and put a certain amount in it when money comes in - when there's no more money in the account, you're done shopping.

Well, that's all for tonight, or this morning, since it's

"Quarter to three ... there's no one in the place ... except you and me.  So set 'em up, Joe.  I got a little story you oughta know."

- "One For My Baby and One For the Road"