Friday, January 21, 2011

Beauty Bonanza!!!

Since this is a blog about fashion, style and BEAUTY, I thought it would be a good idea to write about my expedition to The Mall, specifically to The Body Shop.

I've been a fan of The Body Shop's products since the 1970's, when they first had a store in the Mall.  My friend Diane and I were talking about it today:  It was the place where I was first schooled in the correct pronunciation of "Jojoba."  I was pronouncing the hard "j" and a sales associate corrected me and told me the "j" was like an "h":  hohoba.  It was the seventies, and my parents and I were very much into natural ingredients, organic farming and all that crunchy-granola earth-mama type stuff.  Someone asked me on the phone today if I wanted a People magazine dedicated to that great decade, The 70's, and I said, "No thank you, I lived through it once and that was enough."  She laughed.

Fast forward to now, 2011, and I'm still shopping at The Body Shop in the Mall, although in the 80's and 90's and 2000's, I used to shop predominantly at the stores in the city (Manhattan for you non-New Yorkers out there).  It was easier, since I worked in Manhattan.

But on to the goods!

I had a makeover today.  I wasn't completely happy with the makeover, since most of the stuff glided off my face, I had raccoon eyes and I looked (to my eyes, anyway) like a member of the TV show, "Jersey Shore," thanks to the bronzer one of the sales associates put on me.

The initial makeover worked out pretty well for what I wanted though:  the girl who helped me, Melissa, went through my cosmetics bag (which I asked her to do) and pulled out all the expired Body Shop product, which was EVERYTHING.  She tossed it.  I had two other products in there, too, a Stila concealer and a Glimmer pot, which is this sticky, glittery substance you put on your skin and it shines.  Cool for Halloween and New Year's, when you want to be outstandingly festive, but other times, not so much.   They were expired, too.  I tossed those in the trash when I got home.

She put makeup on me.  We went with a whole new look:  Tinted Glow Enhancer #2, instead of the All-in-One face powder, black eyeliner (which I DID NOT like), and two new shadows, Eye Colour #7 and #32.  One is a shimmery brown and one is a shimmery taupe.  We used my Maybelline Lash Stiletto mascara, which was like, ugh, I hate it when people put mascara on me.  Some people are good at it, but most it's like, "My eyes!  My eyes!"  I ended up putting it on myself, I was so nervous.  We also used Lightening Touch concealer #1.  Melissa had a lot of helpful hints.  One was to pull the outer corner of your eyelid up when you put on mascara, and wave the wand down over the lashes, it really makes them stand out.  The other was to use primer or mattifying lotion on your eyelids and face before putting on tinted moisturizer, foundation, eye makeup or All-in-One face powder, to make the makeup stay on.  That should help on the hot, humid days when the makeup is oozing off your face!  She also told me to wash my makeup brushes in Tea Tree Skin Clearing Facial Wash.  It's more gentle than dish detergent (my modus operandi) and the Tea Tree has antibacterial properties.

I bought a whole bunch of skincare products from the Seaweed line (made from that trusty North Atlantic, Baltic seaweed, Bladderwack!).

In order of use, they are:

Seaweed Deep Cleansing Facial Wash/Combination/Oily Skin
Seaweed Pore Perfector
Seaweed Mattifying Moisture Lotion, SPF 15

At night:

Seaweed Clarifying Night Treatment

Once a week:

Seaweed Pore-cleansing Facial Exfoliator
Seaweed Ionic Clay Mask

It's all for Combination/Oily skin, which I have.  I find it's gentle enough that it doesn't irritate my skin, and cleanses well enough so that I have fewer breakouts.  Because let me tell you, friends, since I stopped using this stuff back in 2009, it's been nothing but misery, in terms of breakouts, redness, dryness and irritation.  So hopefully, now my skin will calm down and start behaving.  You hear me, sebaceous glands?!  Start behaving!

All told, with my Love Your Body discount, and my birthday month $10 free product, it came to $140, which I realize is a helluva lot of money to spend on something as "frivolous" as skincare and makeup, especially for someone who was only two months ago wondering about where her next meal was coming from, but, heck, some of it was birthday money, and I really need to start looking better.  As you age, you realize your skin doesn't take care of itself, like it did when you were younger.  You have to work at it a little harder.

Later on, I went back to The Body Shop, because I realized I hadn't gotten what I thought was the bronzer Melissa used.  I had an almost-heated discussion with the other sales associate that was there.  She hadn't been there when I was in earlier.  She was kind of an ignorant girl.  She tried to convince me that the bronzer she used didn't make me look orange or yellow.  It did.  And it wasn't the bronzer Melissa used, it was "Radiance Beads."  They impart a nice, shimmery effect to your face, and even out skin tone.  Which, I learned recently, is the most important step in makeup:  Evening out your skin tone.  It may have been in the new book I'm reading, "Size Sexy" by Stella Ellis, which I will be done reviewing, as soon as I have finished the book.  Or it may have been online, from About.com Beauty.  Yes, I think that was it.  Oh, if you're interested, About.com has great articles and video tutorials for plus-size fashions and great makeup video tutorials and tips.  I recommend About.com for just about anything you want to know, from Apartment Living to Zoology.  Well, I don't know about zoology for sure, but I'm sure you could find something related!

I hope if you have any makeover stories to share, that you'll put them in the comments, or in LJ or FB.  I'm Edith Scheie, if you want to friend me on Facebook!  You already know me from LJ.